Cavavin’s Christmas Classics
Cavavin’s Christmas Classics
Classic Christmas wines can be hard to define and can vary so much as taste is so personal and wines vary so much with food. A traditional Christmas dinner has also changed quite a lot these days, as tastes have evolved and there are a lot more alternatives now. So, Cavavin’s Christmas Classics are really a selection of our favourites in disguise and are guaranteed to pair exceptionally with all your Christmas favourites, whatever they may be!
Let’s get Started!
Just imagine, the table is set, the kitchen is full of all the cooking aromas and you’ve all gathered to eat. Starters are usually elegant and not too heavy as it’s just the beginning of the feast. I’m thinking prawn cocktail, fresh seafood, smoked salmon with cream cheese or creme fraiche, homemade soup, a winter salad, canapés. Wines that complement this are crisp and refreshing and cleanse the palate for the mains. Bubbles in my mind are a non-negotiable here. Some of Cavavin’s favourites for this course include:
- Champagne Mailly Grand Cru Brut Reserve NV
- Poirier Méthode Traditionnelle Brut.
- J. Mourat Collection white blend 2022
- Costa al Sole Inzolia Terre Siciliane
- NEW IN! Tommasi Lugana Il Fornaci
Dive into the Mains!
You’ve whetted your appetite with some refreshing bubbles or crisp whites and now you’re ready to tuck into the mains - turkey, ham, beef, potatoes six ways!, veg, sprouts, buckets of gravy. This is such a feast and there’s so much to think about here in terms of flavours and wine pairings but as long as you have a (1.) lighter red for those real wine enthusiasts and the (2.) staple heavier reds for those who can’t help themselves and of course no feast is complete without a nice glass or two (3.) of a flavoursome white to wash all the rich trimmings down with.
- Domaine Philippe Meslet Saint Nicolas de Bourgueil 2022
- Terres Secretes Les Preludes Pinot Noir Bourgogne
- Cuvée Princes d’Orange Côtes du Rhône VV
- El Chocolatero Tempranillo blend
- Domaine Lafond Lirac Grenache blend 2021
- NEW IN! Domaine Lafond Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2020
- Marques del Villar Rioja
- Bottega Valpolicella delle Ripasso
- NEW IN! Condado de Oriza Ribera del Duero Reserva 2017
- Château Piganeau Saint-Émilion Grand Cru 2020
- Domaine de Montine Gourmandise Viognier blend 2022
- J. Mourat OVNI Sauvignon 2022
- Terres Secrètes Les Preludes Bourgogne Chardonnay 2022
- NEW IN! Domaine de Renaud Macon Pouilly-Solutré
The Icing on the Cake!
You’ve cleared your plate of every last drop of gravy and crumb of stuffing. As you move away from the table you don’t know how you’ll ever face food again! Then, your eye catches the sideboard of desserts and cheeses and tubs of chocolates and suddenly you’re ready to nibble again. “I’ll have a bit of everything please”
Not everyone likes dessert or dessert wine but there’s always cheese or just a few chocolates to satisfy that after dinner second wind. Whatever your dessert of choice is, there are plenty of options when it comes to dessert/after dinner wines that will help digest the day’s feast.